Firmware downgrade for LG Smart TVs

I must admit, I’m baffled to see LG pull a stunt like this after having faced public backlash over their spying on their customers’ TV viewing habits. After backpedaling on the issue last year, they’ve now done a full 180 and reserve the right to record your entire viewing habits and share this data with everyone and their mom, even in countries with most likely less strict data protection laws. And here’s the kicker: if you don’t agree to these terms, many of the SmartTV features you paid for will be lost!

That’s apparently par for the course cause LG also removed the ability to switch audio tracks on local DLNA playback some firmwares ago (alledgedly due to copyright reasons). And when I set my LG TV to a non-existant gateway to stop it from sending my data to LG (my old Fritzbox does not blacklist), I could not connect to my local NAS anymore despite it being in the same network segment.

Also bad is the fact that, probably due to being embarrassed on a regular basis by all the bugs and removed features of their firmwares, LG does not offer changelogs. So when you’ve updated your TV’s firmware on the slim hope of seeing some improvements/fixes, you’ll notice the new terms you’ll be forced to agree to only after the fact! And since LG offers no way to downgrade the firmware, you’re suddenly stuck with a device with less features and more spying on you than you bargained for.

Fortunately, some Russian hackers felt the need to adress the issue and reverse engineered the firmware update process and made a small business out of giving the LG customers what they want. Others took note and devised a do-it-yourself approach to downgrade your TV (thx, nenif).

How to downgrade your LG TV’s firmware
The idea is simple enough: download an older official firmware from the LG website and use your own DNS server on your PC/laptop to trick your TV into thinking it’s downloading from the official site. Supposedly this method applies to the 2012/2013 models, I’ve successfully done it with my 40LN5758 (downgrading from 04.22.xx to 04.04.05) using the instructions below. With more recent firmwares you might have to add some additional steps mentionend in the comments (thanks to all contributers). So if at first you don’t succeed, please check em out.

NOTE: I’M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT GO WRONG WITH THE DOWNGRADE – YOU’RE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Download LgDTVUpDater_new.zip and unzip it to your drive c:\ so that you end up with a dir called c:\LgDTVUpDater (another destination will likely result in error messages later on).
  • Check out the folder “Antwort” inside the htdocs folder. That’s a translation of “response”, meaning the server’s responses people already received and listed for your convenience. Browsing the files inside you can see links to lots of older firmwares.
  • Download the firmware you want to downgrade to and unzip it to C:\LgDTVUpDater\htdocs\
  • Open C:\LgDTVUpDater\dns\AcrylicHosts.txt in an editor like Notepad++ and change the IP adress of snu.lge.com in the last line to your PC’s address (in my case 10.10.10.40), then save the file. As suggested in the comments, downgrading from more recent firmwares might require to add additional servers: rdvs.alljoyn.org, fi.lgtvsdp.com, us.lgtvsdp.com – one per line – with the same IP address.
  • Start C:\LgDTVUpDater\startDNS.bat and then C:\LgDTVUpDater\startHTTP.bat with a double-click resulting in 2 black windows (showing that the Acrylic DNS server and the Apache server are running) and probably your firewall complaining. In that case, allow both.
  • On your TV select Settings > Network Connection > Start Connection > Cancel > Manual Setup > Wired (firmware updates are huge and any disconnects over wireless might lead to bricking your TV). Keep IP MODE on Auto Input, set DNS MODE to Manual Input and enter your PC’s IP address
  • Select Settings > Support > Software Update > Check Update Version but do not update! Close when the check has been performed. This check generates a file with some needed info on your TV’s model.
  • Open C:\LgDTVUpDater\htdocs\in_dump.txt and copy your TV’s model name from inside the MODEL_NM-tag. For my LN5758 it’s
    HE_DTV_NC4M_AFAAABAA
  • Check C:\LgDTVUpDater\htdocs\ if a file of that name already exists (these are text files with a simple xml structure inside, they have no extension like .txt or .xml). If not, copy one of the other files over to that name
  • Edit the new file, in my case HE_DTV_NC4H_AFAAABAA. It will look quite jumbled cause there are no line breaks. If you add them manually, it looks something like this:

response

• There are only a few entries to change:
    IMAGE_URL: the IP of your PC
    IMAGE_NAME: name of the firmware file you unzipped
    CDN_URLIP: IP of your PC and name of the firmware

You can also change
    UPDATE_MAJOR_VER: major version of the firmware
    UPDATE_MINOR_VER: minor version of the firmware

but this should only be cosmetic cause the revision number is also stored inside the epk. The FORCE_FLAG set to Y should ensure any current version being overwritten with the one you’ve downloaded, thus enabling the downgrade in the first place.
    Save the file.

• Now close the two command prompt windows and double-click again on C:\LgDTVUpDater\startDNS.bat and then C:\LgDTVUpDater\startHTTP.bat
  • On your TV select Settings > Support > Software Update > Check Update Version: a new firmware is found! Update.
  • When the update is through (which should be pretty fast since it’s done from your PC), the TV will reboot.
  • Upon restart, you’ll get a message window with another progress bar (in my case a yellow frame with the foreign language text flipped). The firmware you just downloaded to your TV is now being installed. Once this is through, the downgrade is complete.
  • For good measure you should reset the TV to factory defaults. Please note, that you will have to scan and sort channels after that. Even if you don’t reset, you’ll have to agree to this firmware’s terms of use before you can use Smart TV functionality. As mentioned above, these should be less restrictive than the ones you had to agree to before. If not, downgrade to an even older version ;)

Feel free to add model numbers of TVs you successfully downgraded or links to firmwares in the comment section.

About these ads

85 thoughts on “Firmware downgrade for LG Smart TVs

1. mustafa

Hello,
    Since I have updated my LG tv 50PM470S to firmware version 04.40.03, which is the latest version, I have youtube buffering on almost all of the videos, so that’s why I want to downgrade. I followed all the steps, but it gives me message that no update version found. In dns console, i get these messages;
    2014-12-17 23:43:18.983 TResolver.Execute: Request ID 45090 received from client 192.168.178.77:43980 regarding “snu.lge.com” of type A.
    2014-12-17 23:43:18.985 TResolver.Execute: Response ID 45090 sent to client 192.168.178.77:43980 directly from hosts cache.
    So I don’t know whats the problem really, can you help please.

2. fistea

Hello,

My 55LM620S happened in 4.60.14 version and it was buggy.
    HDD and DLNA lags, ir remote bug, etc …

I followed the tutorial and I managed to downgrade to 4.53.02 version with no problem.
    Everything works again properly now;)

OS: Windows 7 64Bit
    TV: 55LM620S (2011)
    Firmware DL:
    su.lge.com:80/GlobalSWDownloadCdn.laf?IMG=/201404/GP4_DVB_EU_BB_MP_SU5_mtk5369_A1_RevNo87500_V04.53.02_ota_V2_SECURED.epk

3. Pingback: Pilna pomoc LN575s - HDforum

4. ivica

I have 55LM6400-ua TV and I have been trying to downgrade the firmware for a while now. I have gotten the most out of this post… but not yet have been able to complete the downgrade. I think the issue is that the file I dowbladed has USB in the name… and it should have ota.the USB fIles are giving the unstable network error. Does anyone know where I can find the ota file for my TV model? The file I downloaded is from the lg websitw.

1. ivica

The same error as before. I think the firmware know where the source is coming from and that is why it is not installing it. It is expecting from usb… but when I put it on the usb… since its older version it ignores it. I wonder if there is a way to force it via usb.

1. Techflaws

Can’t remember what version I used nor where you could search for other firmware versions except Google of course ;)

1. ivica

At this time I am looking in two options. To find firmware for ota… or find a way to flag force via usb. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Norden79

Thanks all for the info here.
    Unfortunately, I cannot get past the step where my TV has downloaded the downgrade (04.60.07 for my LM860v TV) and an error message states that the update has been suspended due to the network being unstable.

I hate these LG updates, the last one messed up my Plex setup and also the Simplink I had with my TV-box.
    Any feedback appriciated!

1. Techflaws

Like I wrote in another reply, people have reported this message to be connected to not having installed to c:\LgDTVUpDater. I don’t know if that’s the case but if you’ve set your devices to static IPs and do the update over a wired connection, I don’t see what else could be done to remedy this. On the official forum people keep posting blacklists you can set up in your router to prevent firmware updates. Dunno if these would work where you live or if there are any repercussions like some services not working anymore though:

ad.lgappstv.com
      DE.info.lgsmartad.com
      smartshare.lgtvsdp.com
      kr.lgtvsdp.com
      DE.lgtvsdp.com
      doubleclick.net

6. Mike

These should be added as well if you are in Canada, saw them pop up on the DNS requests screen

kr.lgtvsdp.com
    CA.lgtvsdp.com

Rocking a 42LS5700 but my attempted downgrade to v5.1 to attempt to fix some massive wifi streaming issues that cropped up with the firmware update from Jan 2014 failed. Error after download to the TV was that the network is unstable, so maybe the firmware wasn’t the right one, but it seems it is supposed to be the one for this TV.

Meh.

Anyways thank you for the instructions on this, was worth a shot, I’ll try to keep at this to see if I can find a solution for my TV.

1. Techflaws

Guys, I really appreciate the effort you’ve put into this (which is why I don’t remove your links) but how about you add an English version of the page? Frankly, the German reads like it’s done by Google Translate .

7. Zoranda

Hi, do i need a router between tv and laptop for this procedure?
    Or can i only connect tv with laptop wired with lan cable?
    Will try to downgrade lgph670 plasma.

1. Techflaws

You don’t need a router, connect your TV to your laptop (you probably don’t even need a crossover cable), just make sure they’re in the same IP range.

1. Zoranda

Thanks for your response.
        After 4 hour try, i couldnt make it :( (Newbee about networking)
        I used cable between laptop/tv (not crossover) and got an network icon with exclamation mark.
        On cmd, i got my laptop ip adress as 192.168.1.101 and wrote it to the dns section at tv, left in auto ip mode as your suggest.
        But tv kept asking if server have dhcp enabled and didnt connect to laptop.

1. Techflaws

Apparently TV gets it address from DHCP and there is no DHCP server on the laptop so you need to set the TV’s IP manually. The exclamation mark already tells you something’s wrong with your network setup so you should ask a friend who knows about this stuff to help you out.

1. Techflaws

No idea. Check forums where people discuss these. I only wanted to be able to go back to the less privacy invading firmware which seems to differ from model to model.

8. ovi

can’t get it to work :-( tv says not update found :-( i ‘m on windows 7 64 bit but i can get the apache windows up and running what i can do?

1. Techflaws

Given the comments here, are you sure you did everything in the proper order? If so, you may be right and LG decided to block this way to rollback. You know how much they hate their customers.

1. Chuzz

Come the New Year the LG I have I am giving to my son and I am buying a Panasonic or a Sony… LG can go F%£$ themselves. Never again on any LG product whatsoever. By the by my son has NO Internet so they cannot farm no info from him lol :)

9. Pedro Lucas

Thank you so much. It worked 100% on my LG TV 55LA660S. Downgraded from 04.24.33 to 04.22.07 to get rid of a major cockup done for full screen options in some apps (e.g. Red Bull app).

10. John

Tried it with my LG 55LA965W 4K TV but it did not work. Also added the other 3 servers but still it says its up to date. There must be newer and other servers it is going through when searching for the update.

1. John

Problem is solved. The model name should also be copied to the parser file CheckSWManualUpdate.LAF to replace a model in the if statements.

11. David Harris

I have a 1 week LG49UB850V, stupidly enough took the firmware up to a beta that caused probs, so even more stupidly took it to service firmware 09.00.00

I’ve tried following the instrustions above but not having much luck, any advice please ??

12. Ralf

Thank You very much for your work and this blog – You saved my day :)

Some additions I recognized, by now the TV checks some more URLs to confirm an established Internetconnection.
    These are:
    rdvs.alljoyn.org
    fi.lgtvsdp.com
    rdvs.alljoyn.org
    Theyre just to be added to AcrylicHosts.txt. Besides that the howto worked like a charm!